I’m visiting the main cities in NZ to find out ‘who’s doing what?’ in the area of User Experience and User Centred Design …I’ve met couple of dozen people so far…
So, what lies below the surface of the words User Experience? And is it more than just a buzzword?
- Agencies practising User Centred Design methodologies have been evangelistic, raising its profile in NZ
- NZ design agencies have a strong belief in the philosophy behind User Centred Design and research
- User Experience as a brand differentiator is gaining traction amongst clients
- Larger organisations as well as product and service providers are starting to build internal UX teams or hire dedicated UX staff
- Usability Testing methodologies are merging with User Centred Design to shape the overall experience of online in particular
- Insights gained from UCD methodologies are informing and shaping products and services prior to as well as during development
These are all positive things, but almost everyone I spoke to felt they still had to ‘fight their corner’ within their team, and in particular with their clients.
Keep fighting …your clients will thank you, and ‘the new black’ will endure.